Katharina Pelosi studied at the Institute for Applied Theatre Studies in Giessen and works as an audio artist in the fields of performance, choreography, radio plays and installations. She is a co founder of the feminist performance and media collective Swoosh Lieu. As a theater musician and sound designer, she regularly collaborates with theater maker Simone Dede Ayivi. Further projects have been developed e.g. with costa compagnie, Antje Velsinger, the Geheimagentur and Moritz Frischkorn.
She has created soundwalks, radio plays and installations, such as the site-specific audio installation ‘Bilder aus Morgen’, the multi channel audio installation ‘In the vicinity’ at the CCA Tel Aviv and most recently the project ‘Polyphone Parolen’ for PACT Zollverein as part of Urban Künste Ruhr 2019. Based on this installation, she created the radio play ‘Parole V’ for WDR. Her artistic feature ‘Call to Listen’ was awarded the Leipzig Radio Play Summer Prize in 2019.
From 2015 until 2017, Katharina dealt with sound as a mnemonic-cultural medium in postcolonial Hamburg for her artistic doctorate as a member of the graduate program Performing Citizenship (K3, Fundustheater, HCU – Hamburg). In 2018, she spent time in Kyoto as a fellow at the Villa Kamogawa / Goethe-Institut Japan together with Rosa Wernecke. In 2020, she will be traveling to the Cultural Academy Tarabya in Istanbul, as well as spend 2021 at the Casa Baldi in Italy.
Her sound design work is characterized by an understanding of music and sound as equal elements of the theatrical process. In many productions, Katharina performs live on stage. Her acoustic work explores sound-based forms of memory and the transformation of visual phenomena into the acoustic medium. In doing so, she tries to develop formal aesthetic approaches based on feminist and postcolonial discourse.
Scholarships and residencies
- 2021 Casa Baldi, Olevano Romano / Italien, Deutsche Akademie Villa Massimo.
- 2020 Kulturakademie Tarabya, Goethe Institut Istanbul / Türkei.
- 2019 Carmago Foundation, Cassis / Frankreich (auf Einladung von Kathrin Wildner).
- 2019 Postgraduiertenförderung der Hessischen Theater Akademie.
- 2018 Villa Kamogawa, Goethe Institut Kyoto / Japan.
- 2015-2017 Künstlerisch-Wissenschaftliches Graduiertenkolleg ‘Performing Citizenship’ (HCU, K3 Tanzplan, Fundus Theater / Hamburg).