You call it love, we call it unpaid work! – Who cares, nurtures, educates, cleans, cooks, maintains, listens and entertains? Care work or reproductive work – for what reward and recognition?
It is mainly women, who take care of others and more often than not they face sexist stereotypes and expectations, while their actual work remains invisible.
In their new piece for the stage – Who Cares?! – Swoosh Lieu allows their voices to echo through the theatre space, challenging the apparatus to reveal its means and herstories, investigating its mechanisms of reproducing images and roles and its possibilities of deconstruction.
In the process, Swoosh Lieu cultivate their love for the theatre, service its components and host a (feminist) staff meeting of the caretakers.
The visual and acoustic world that Swoosh Lieu construct is remarkably precise, both in the parts spoken live as well as in the arranged audiovisuals. It is a great pleasure to listen to this well thought-out and well-crafted filling of the Black Box.
- Johanna Castellconcept, performance, stage, lighting
- Katharina Pelosiconcept, performance, sound
- Rosa Werneckeconcept, performance, video, light
- Katharina Speckmannperformance, text
- Lani Tran Ducstage, costume, performance
- Anika Marquardtstage, costume
- Stawrula Panagiotakidramaturgy
- Friederike Schmidt-Colinetstage design assistance
- Bernhard Siebertproduction management
- Verena Katzintern
- David Rittershausdocumentation photos
- Ursula Schmidtdocumentation camera
A Swoosh Lieu production co-produced by Künstler*innenhaus Mousonturm. Supported by the Cultural Office of the City of Frankfurt am Main, the Women’s Bureau of the City of Frankfurt am Main, Rudolf Augstein Stiftung, Hessian Ministry for Science and Art, Citoyen Stiftung. Supported by Kampnagel, Hamburg.
- Return Season
- Return Season
Caring for each other: Über alternative Formen des Zusammenlebens und der Fürsorge